Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Kal Ho Na Ho...

Death…an eventuality.

When? No one ever knows…
What if you know?
Will you live each day differently?
Will you make amends?

We have often heard people say — “Live everyday as if it were your last”. But guess till we are actually there the import of that would fail to hit us. Cause we are people who think months ahead…will I be promoted? Will I get a hike? Will the real estate costs soar? Should I come back offshore?

We are so preoccupied with all those “planning” that we fail to look at the present…live each day to its fullest. Let me be honest…how much ever I try…I haven’t managed it so far. I just read “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom. Its a real-life experience between a student and a teacher….

Its about Mitch’s Sociology Professor…Morrie Schwartz…who suffers from ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) and has few months left to live. Its also called Lou Gehrig’s disease…Stephen Hawking is a victim of the same. As Morrie slowly sinks into his final days…Mitch returns to spend time with him after nearly 20 years. Morrie and Mitch capture life’s essence in their Tuesday meetings…as Morrie gives simple answers to life’s questions on death, fear, marriage,family etc. Morrie can move you with his love…and also his aphorisms - “When you learn how to die, you learn how to live.”

There was another book by Mitch Albom called “Five people you meet in heaven”…on how a keeper at a theme park dies saving a girl…and goes to heaven only to meet 5 people from his life…who offer him answers on his life’s turn of events.

I had done a post on my Grandma…condition is very critical,no more hope of recovery and passed away... Reading about Morrie brought back those memories…I was almost close to tears. Its not a great book in my opinion…but then you never know, most times it’s the simple things in life that impact you deeply. If you are someone who can see beyond words…and appreciate books that allow you some introspection…read this.

“Don’t hang on too long, but don’t let go too soon.” - Morrie

No comments: